Saturday 21 April 2012

Page Turner Competition

Having submitted my own entry for the Page Turner Competition at the Turner Contemporary Gallery in Margate Kent, I didn't really expect to win let alone be shortlisted. The brief seemed to have boundaries but once I got into it I realised that it could be as open as I wanted it to be as long as I submitted a short detailed evaluation. Below is a picture of the Turner Contemporary. 

The gallery provided a room for the winning entries of the competition and gave a description explaining the brief and theme that all the winners had to work with.

                                     

To be honest, I was disappointed with the layout in which all the winning works had been displayed. Every piece had been mounted on foam board and had been laminated. I understand that this could have been done to prevent the artwork from being damaged in any way, but it did ruin the quality. I was hoping the entries would have been printed onto A3 but were instead printed onto A4.


                                     


Below is my submission, entitled "Prejudice Never Wins", A3 Silk Screen. The evaluation I handed in explains the title a bit more and also why my entry may have a somewhat dark approach to the olympic brief, but there were reasons why I chose this. Under the print is my evaluation.

The artwork I am submitting represents how I feel about how all countries and cultures, can come together every four years to compete fairly and without prejudice. No matter how much discrimination there is in the world, people come from every corner to honour their countries. The duration of the olympics allows everyone to come together from every nation and forget about the discrimination in the world. I wish for my submission to focus on one basic fact; "We are all alike, on the inside".


To me, this represents courage and determination. 
Original Artwork Size: A3 420 x 297mm (width x height).


No comments:

Post a Comment